Choose the version that works best for you! The all-new fourth edition of Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills will soon be available in two versions: with HazMat chapters and without, depending on your unique training needs. Learn more by exploring a sneak peek of both versions and review an important update on NFPA 1001: Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications today.
An Update on NFPA 1001
On Monday May 7, 2018, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) posted the Certified Amending Motions (CAMs) for NFPA 1001: Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications. These three motions will be voted on by the NFPA Technical Meeting (Tech Session) at the NFPA Conference and Expo on Thursday, June 14, 2018 in Las Vegas.
The three motions are listed below. The underline indicates new text:
- Community Risk Reduction. Programs, actions, and services used by a community which prevent or mitigate the loss of life, property, and resources associated with life safety, fire, and other disasters within a community.
- 4.3.1* Use self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) during emergency operations, given SCBA and other PPE, so that the SCBA is correctly donned, the SCBA is correctly worn, controlled breathing techniques are used, emergency air use is monitored, hazardous area is exited before activation of any low-air warning alarm, all low-air warning alarms are recognized, emergency procedures are enacted if the SCBA fails, all or low-air warnings are recognized, alarm activates in hazard area, and respiratory protection is not intentionally compromised, and hazardous areas are exited prior to air depletion.
- 4.6 Community Risk Reduction: This duty shall involve understanding the basic principles of community risk reduction, including the integration of emergency response, engineering, enforcement, education and economic incentives as cohesive strategies to manage community risks, and to improve public safety; and performing basic public education activities that improve public safety when called upon to do so. A) Requisite knowledge: a definition of an integrated approach to community risk reduction that includes an overview of risk assessments, and community risk reduction strategies that integrate emergency response, engineering, enforcement, education and economic incentives; the value of CRRl to fire and emergency responders, their organization and the community. B) Requisite skills: ability to distinguish among different CRR strategies (i.e. emergency response, engineering, enforcement, education and economic incentives) when provided examples of each; and to perform simple public education activities from standard operating procedures, methods and materials provided by the AHJ.
4.6.1 Basic Public Safety Education: This duty shall involve being able to answer public questions when called upon that identify common hazards in the home, and how to rectify them; including the basic knowledge of smoke alarm types, performance and placement. A) Requisite knowledge: an understanding of common home hazards for fire, poisoning, falls, and other common safety hazards that produce the need for emergency response; and the knowledge of how these home hazards may be rectified by those dwelling in homes; an understanding of photo-electric, ionization and multi-sensing criteria smoke alarms, power sources (i.e. battery operated or hard wired), their placement in homes, and how to install and maintain them according to NFPA 72. B) Requisite skills: the ability to conduct a home safety visit when called upon to do so by the AHJ, to install smoke alarms per NFPA 72 and/or the standards of the AHJ, and to answer simple questions about home safety hazards given standard training approved by the AHJ.
Questions? We have answers for you!
- Question: How will Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills, Fourth Edition address these Certified Amending Motions (CAMs)?
Answer: Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills, Fourth Edition will include these new and/or updated JPRs, even if they fail to pass the ballot process on June 14, 2018.
- Question: When will the NFPA 1001 Standard be released?
Answer: The appeals closing date is July 5, 2018 for NFPA 1001 with CAMs (20 Days after the NFPA Technical Meeting, Tech Session). Council Issuance Date for NFPA 1001 is August 14, 2018.
- Question: When will Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills, Fourth Edition publish?
Answer: On or before August 6, 2018:
Take a sneak peek of Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills, Fourth Edition and Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills and Hazardous Materials Response, Fourth Edition: